Ana Bridges, Ph.D.
Dr. Ana Bridge's research focuses on scientifically-informed clinical practice that aims to reduce health disparities. Although she has done work in the area of romantic relationships and sexually explicit media use, her research over time has focused increasingly on examining the interplay between culture, mental health, and service utilization. Her goal is to understand and ameliorate factors that interfere with vulnerable and underserved diverse groups initiating help seeking, remaining in treatment, and obtaining benefits from therapy. She has worked to establish ties with local agencies in Northwest Arkansas who serve some of the most vulnerable groups in society, including people living in poverty, recent immigrants, victims of domestic violence, and prisoners.
She has published with colleagues and students in numerous scientific journals, including Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, Families, Systems, and Health, Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health, Psychological Services, and Journal of Latina/o Psychology. Her work has also been funded by the US Department of Health and Human Services, the Verizon Foundation, the American Psychological Foundation, and the National Institutes of Health.
Dr. Bridges' recent publications include:
- Baker, D., Hill, M., Chamberlain, K., Hurd, L., Karlsson, M., Zielinski, M., Calvert, M., & Bridges, A. (2020). Interpersonal vs. Non-Interpersonal Cumulative Traumas and Psychiatric Symptoms in Treatment-Seeking Incarcerated Women. Journal of Trauma & Dissociation, 1-16. DOI: 10.1080/15299732.2020.1760172.
- Ezzell, M., Johnson, J., Bridges, A., & Sun, C. (2020). I (Dis)Like it Like That: Gender, Pornography, and Liking Sex. Journal of Sex & Marital Therapy, 46, 1-14. DOI: 10.1080/0092623X.2020.1758860.
- Melkonian, A., Ham, L., Wiersma-Mosley, J., Jackson, K., Mobley, A., Jozkowski, K., Willis, M., & Bridges, A. (2020). Alcohol intoxication impairs the bystander intervention process in a hypothetical sexual assault: A field investigation. Psychology of Violence. DOI: 10.1037/vio0000283.
- Wiersma-Mosley, J., Ham, L., Marcantonio, T., Jozkowski, K., & Bridges, A. (2020). Intoxicated Bystanders’ Alcohol Expectancies and Valuations and the Ability to Detect Risk in a Potential Sexual Assault. Addictive Behaviors, 108. DOI: 10.1016/j.addbeh.2020.106423
- Bridges, A., Baker, D., Hurd, L., Chamberlain, K., Hill, M., Karlsson, M., & Zielinski, Melissa. (2020). How Does Timing Affect Trauma Treatment for Women Who Are Incarcerated? An Empirical Analysis. Criminal Justice and Behavior. 009385482090307. DOI: 10.1177/0093854820903071.