Emily Troshynski, Ph.D.
Dr. Emily Troshynski is an Associate Professor of Criminal Justice at The University of Nevada, Las Vegas (UNLV) where she is the department undergraduate coordinator. Troshynski also has affiliated appointments with UNLV’s program on Gender and Sexuality Studies as well as UNLV’s new School of Medicine. Her research interests include understanding the social causes of deviance, violence, and victimization. Particularly, the goals of her research are to critically, theoretically, and empirically uncover how law and society inform justice system policies and practices. This line of research has had two main foci: 1) experiences of gendered violence and justice system responses (i.e., human trafficking; domestic and intimate partner violence; sex crimes); 2) realities of community corrections as experienced by parolees as they re-enter society (i.e., shifts in punishment and social control via changes in rules and regulations.
Dr. Troshynski’s research has been published in Trends in Organized Crime; International Journal of Crime, Justice and Social Democracy; Theoretical Criminology; and Journal of Contemporary Criminal Justice. Her work has also appeared in The Routledge Handbook of Critical Criminology; The Wiley Handbook on the Psychology of Violence; The Routledge Companion to Criminological Theory and Concepts; and The Routledge Handbook of Victimization Studies. Authored chapters have also appeared in Women, War, and Violence, (Elsevier-Academic, 2015) as well as Broadening the Scope of Human Trafficking (Carolina Academic Press, 2016)
Dr. Troshynski’s recent publications include:
- Bejinariu, A., & Troshynski, E. (2020). "They Threatened to Call Immigration”: Challenges Faced by Civil Protection Order Applicants and Respondents. Race and Justice. DOI: 10.1177/2153368720923018.
- Boppre, B., Miethe, T., Troshynski, E., & Salisbury, E. (2019). Cross-national differences in women’s imprisonment rates: exploring the conditional effects of gender inequality and other macro-level factors. International Journal of Comparative and Applied Criminal Justice, 1-19. DOI: 10.1080/01924036.2019.1675181.
- Henne, K., & Troshynski, E. (2019). Intersectional Criminologies for the Contemporary Moment: Crucial Questions of Power, Praxis and Technologies of Control. Critical Criminology, 27. DOI: 10.1007/s10612-019-09441-z.
- Henne, K., & Troshynski, E. (2018). Intersectionality. The Routledge Companion to Criminological Theory and Concepts (pp.316-320). Routledge. DOI: /9781315744902-71.
- Bejinariu, A., Troshynski, E., & Miethe, T. (2018). Civil Protection Orders and their Courtroom Context: the Impact of Gatekeepers on Legal Decisions. Journal of Family Violence, 34, 1-13. DOI: 10.1007/s10896-018-9999-7.